Friday, August 4, 2017

Happy Nurses Day 2017

I joined nursing in year 2010. Back then, I was posted to medical oncology ward. Ward 5b. It was a super hectic ward. That is also the place where I learned the fundamental of nursing and a little knowledge about oncology as well as palliative care. Starting from the role as a junior nurse and subsequently being promoted as a senior nurse, I learned that my career path was deviated to management slowly.
As time goes by, I felt very depress. As a nurse, I don't know how to interpret a 12 lead ECG, I am weak in anatomy and pathophysiology, I felt panic each time during resuscitation as I don't know how to titrate/ calculate intravenous inotropes. I also don't know much on the emergency drugs, antibiotic and what to look out for, eg. the adverse reaction.

Finally, I asked for transfer out. It was a tough decision. if I would have stay in that unit, I may get promotion easily. On the other hand, the sense of uselessness continue to bother me.
Now, I am proud to say I am a nurse. I can't say I am 100% perfect. At least, I have better knowledge on drugs, ECG, anatomy and pathophysiology, etc... I lost the chance of getting promotion but I gained so much on knowledge and clinical skills.
I am a nurse,
I am a senior nurse,
I am a critical care nurse.
HAPPY NURSES DAY 2017 .

No comments:

Post a Comment